April 21, 2011

Project 2

Hey guys,

So, it's official: I'm an MBA grad now!! The question I get now is: "So what are you going to do now?" What am I going to do? Well that's where the refashions and this blog come in. On to Project duex..


After I mentioned breaking my sewing machine, forgetting to take a before pic of this project and all this other madness, things are lookin' up...

I found a pic of the exact same dress on eBay (sans the belt) and I fixed my sewing machine! The fixing involved myself, my mom, my boyfriends mom, a hammer and multiple glasses of wine. But alas, the machine works!

About the dress: $4 (thrift); label: "my michelle". It was about 2 sizes too big and the length reached my ankles.

What I did: I decided to make a combo shirt-skirt-dress. Say what? MmHmm.. I want a polka dot top, a polka dot skirt and a polka dot dress! If I decide to wear a polka dot dress, well I simply tuck the top into the skirt; put on a belt and viola! Perdy good for my second project, no?









...Let me keep it real because I  make it sound soo easy, huh?




Truth is, in the process I learned how to sew in elastic, make a circle skirt and sew in a zipper. Thank goodness wearing your clothes inside out is faux pas 'cause it looks a hot mess! And the skirt? Haha!
I literally taped the skirt to myself to make the friggin' pleats. I was pretty psyched I got the zipper done on the first try. That is until I pulled the slider a little too hard and it zipped right off! (Stupid cheap zipper)
Good thing I'm a refashionista and not a perfectionista. Anyway, all done!
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. very cute! and fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you on I'm a refashionista, the dress you re did looks amazing as a skirt and shirt, what a great idea. I will have to keep this idea in mind next time I am at the thrift store.
    www.shannonolson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Leslie .. I love the blog! I've always been jealous of my sister for putting great outfit ideas together out of nowhere & just having an eye for what could be done with clothes .. Now I'm jealous of you too! ;) This is really great & I look forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lesliecstlnsJuly 26, 2011

    You're so sweet, thank you. Sorry for the late reply, but I just learned how to reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lesliecstlnsJuly 26, 2011

    Thanks Shannon! BTW, I went through your blog and you have so many great ideas. Now I know where to go for some inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete