September 20, 2012

Haute Wardrobe

I don't know about any of you reading this, but the last thing I want to look like is like I shop at a Thrift Store. And I test this by casually asking people how much they think I spent on things. If they blurt out a handsome number, then I reply with the true price followed by an "in yo face!" comment.

Yeah..I do get pretty smug when I know I've scored something that looks like I spent tons on when I've only spent my lunch money; it feels good to save!

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along my tidbits of advice on how to have Haute wardrobe.

Fabric, Color/Print, Cut, Fit! 
Fabric
When thrifting these are the most important elements to look for. When I'm at a thrift store, I don't even look through the racks first, I extend my hands and start rubbing the fabric. Look for cottons, silks, wools--you know, natural fabrics. Try and avoid things that are shiny since they often look synthetic. Sometimes, I'm fooled by a synthetic that feels luxurious in my hands. I look at the garment and if it's not stiff or itchy, I nab it. Feel for texture and comfort against your skin; lord knows you don't want to walk out wearing a thin and itchy fabric. Not only will you be scratching, but your butt will be on display!
No thanks.

Oh! don't forget long lasting fabrics. Some knits are made to last a lot longer than others. I hate it when a sweater starts to grow those little lint balls.  Yes, they grow!  And I'm such a haute-lazy mess, that I never pick them off. One trick however: use a razor and shave those sweater babies off. If you've got a dull razor, make it's final use one that'll bring life back to your sweaters. Just lightly run over the fabric and don't press unless you want to cut right through your sweaters; I speak from experience.

Colors/Prints
First, find out what undertones you have! If you don't know what undertones you have, go online and take one of the millions of quizzes out there. Find out whether your a warm or a cool chick and try and look for colors than make your skin look haute-tastic. If you're skin looks radiant with what you wear, then you already look fab!

Also, go for prints/colors that are so basic you'll wear them year-round. Some prints never go out of style; stripes and polka dots are my closet go-to's when I don't feel like wearing all solids. Remember If you're a petite frame, larger prints are for you and vice versa. But solids will always, always, always be your best friend. Make sure when picking a solid color, it's vibrant and not faded. Deep, rich colors--to me-- look better than light, dusty colors. Although equally as pretty, sometimes light/dusty colors just look like they've faded and are old and dingy.

Cut/Fit

Finally, try the item on. I've made the mistake once too often to buy something that looks gorgeous on the hanger but looks horrible on me. And I find this happens often because of the fit. A garment's cut is crucial when finding items that fit perfectly and accentuate your best assets. For example, pleating detail is often not the best cut or style since it puts the focus on your hips and tummy. Make sure the cut accentuates your body. I've got large/wide hips so finding things that sit well on the waist to camouflage some of the hippage is necessary for me. If not, people think the pear from the Fruit of Loom commercials is on the loose and out of costume! But please, I don't do autographs either way. 

Fit and cut especially goes for pants and blazers. Tailoring is everything for these items. It doesn't matter if you've spent 5 or 500 dollars on a suit; if the fit is off, it doesn't look good. If pants are too long, hem them. Remember to find pants that fit the biggest part of your body and tailer-to-fit the rest. As for blazers, I often fold the sleeves for an instant fit. If you're up for a little project, a little gathering at the elbow may do the trick as well.

All these elements combined will make for some great lux pieces that will leave you looking like a million bucks day in and day out. But I can't forget to mention one more thing...

Styling and attitude is everything! 

The way you combine pieces and accessorizing has a lot to do with looking fab. Sometimes, jeans and tee look soo much better with the right purse and sunnies. Even the right purse can often look better with a scarf wrapped on it. Miss Coco Chanel said it best: "when accessorizing always take off the last thing you put on." So, don't over do it; you don't want to look like a christmas tree that's missing the lights.

If you don't know how to wear something look for inspiration in a magazine, your favorite TV character on your favorite TV show or my tried and true friend Pinterest. Also, be confident in what you're wearing. The key to "pulling things off" is utter confidence. I don't care if your 2 year old dressed you,  you stick your nose up in the air like miss Rachel Zoe picked that outfit and rock it out! 


Got any additional advice? Let me know. We all know I need it.
xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment